1 recipe of pastry dough ( see below)
Flour for rolling out dough
1 large egg
apple sauce ( either add cinnamon or buy with cinnamon)
sugar, for sprinkling the pops before going in the oven
*Pastry Dough: In a food processor, pulse 2 1/2 cups of flour, 2 sticks of cold butter until mixture resembles a course meal. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of ice water and pulse dough again until the mixture holds together. Form dough into ball ( we made 2 balls) and refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. Roll out pastry dough to be approximately 1/8 inch thickness.
3. Use a 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter and cut the dough into circles ( we didn’t have one so we used the top of a Kleen Kanteen bottle)
4. Place half the circles on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add a small amount of the applesauce on the circle, place a popsicle stick on top of the applesauce, and finally add another circle on top and carefully seal the two circles.
5. Brush the tops with beaten egg then sprinkle with sugar and freeze for 15 minutes.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.
7. Let cool on sheet before serving.
This recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart.com … thanks Martha – my kids LOVED making and eating these!