A customer introduced me to Beautycounter. Well, actually, I had recently stumbled across their site when looking for a safe mascara that just might worked and then this ( fabulous) customer emailed me. Serendipity at its best.
What I immediately learned
I had no idea about the regulation or lack of regulation in the personal care industry. I have spent the last 15 plus years educating myself and patients on what to put in our bodies and not on. Big mistake.
- The last law written in the US was in 1938 and is only a page and a half long
- the EU bans 1400 chemicals in personal care products, the US 30. Crazy.
The Good News
- Beautycounter bans 1500 chemicals in all their products, works extensively with the Environmental Working Group plus lobbies in DC to demand more regulation
I adore trying new products, however, get very frustrated when I spend good money on safe, organic products and they don’t work. Despite my love for trying new healthy products, even when fustrated, I had no idea about the lack of regulation in the personal care industry. I have spent the last 15 plus years educating myself and patients on what to put in our bodies and not on. Silly, because many diseases are associated with chemicals found in skincare products.
Must Watch Video
( Ready to shop? or learn more? click here)
1. Beautycounter has a rigorous screening process for all ingredients.
2. Environmental Working Group: they work with them and most products rate a 1 or 2.
3. They test for heavy metals: Beautycounter’s color cosmetics are tested three times ( !!!) for heavy metals before they go to market.
I am all about safety, and was completely ready to embrace a company that had safer skincare products that did not sacrifice on performance. After I placed my first order, I was not surprised; their products worked: their mascara makes my eye lashes appear darker and longer and it stays on all day with no smudging and their lip glosses are not sticky and smell like vanilla.
I immediately began recommending their products.
Here are my MUST-HAVES from Beautycounter!
1 Charcoal Cleansing Bar and Mask–both of my daughters favorite thing from Beautycounter ( mascara and lip glosses are close seconds)
2. Shampoo and Conditioner – yet had I found a healthy safe shampoo and conditioner that didn’t dry out my hair and scalp, until Beautycounter. My younger daughter is obsessed as well and just informed me it was time to re-order.
3. Cleansing Balm – this is my all time favorite . My skin is dry so instead of using it to cleanse, I use it as a mask and keep it on overnight.
4. Mascara– this was my first Beautycounter product and hooked me into trying everything else I had ordered. LOVE.
5. Hydrating Facial Oil–every morning I splash my face with warm water and rub in this hydrating oil. It’s brilliant.
After years of educating and teaching about food and nutrition, with the help of Robin O’Brien, I am happily learning more about regulation in this industry and helping to make change. I am honored to share all this information with you. It’s important stuff.