Coconut needs is a definite must addition to my super food list as it is not only delicious but also rich in a multitude of benefits for the body. Many people are enjoying coconut water as it is a perfect electrolyte and nourishing drink, however, coconut oil is a perfect substitute for butter.
Why add coconut oil to your pantry? There are a few very good reasons.
- Coconut oil is plant based, therefore, it is considered a healthy saturated fat. And it has no cholesterol. An added bonus; it aids in metabolism of essential fatty acids such as the omega 3s.
- Due to being a medium chain fatty acid, coconut oil promotes long lasting energy and aids in increasing metabolism.
- It also helps out the immune system because of its’ antimicrobial (bacterial, fungus, and viral) activity.
- It can be heated to higher temperature, therefore, ideal for cooking and baking.
Cold press or expelled pressed?
Generally, the cold pressed variety will have a lighter milder taste whereas the expeller press will be more tropical and flavorful.
Need a recipe?
Basically you can ad coconut oil to a smoothie, your hot breakfast cereal, to a stir fry and anywhere you might use butter. We have used coconut oil in replacement of oil to pop our popcorn.
PS Many women make a deep conditioner with coconut oil to make their hair soft and manageable. A good recipe is to mix and heat approximately 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of raw honey in a pot. Apply to hair and wrap in towel for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash out.
Happy National Nutrition month!
All HBD books are $5 off this month! The discount will be reflected in the shopping cart… SHOP HBD
Latest posts by Dr. Heather Manley (see all)
- New Blog Site! - 10/19/2017
- Learn Preventative Strategies to Keep Your Brain Healthy - 09/09/2017
- Feel like you’re pretty savvy on the brain? Check this out. - 09/01/2017