In our family, we all have type O blood and we all tend to do so much better having meat a part of our diets. However, consciously and environmentally, I like to have at least one meatless day a week and here is why.
Better for your health
- People who refrain from eating meat one day a week tend to have less cancer, reduced heart disease and live longer
- Animal meat is difficult for most people to digest therefore taking it out of your diet for one day a week will improve digestion
- People tend to eat more fiber rich foods when they reduce meat, therefore, elimination ( i.e.: pooping) occurs more frequently – a good thing.
Better for the planet
- I recently read that it is estimated that the meat industry generates close to 1/5 th of the man made greenhouse gas emissions
- Animals require a great deal of water – up to 2500 gallons per pound of beef ( that is almost 1000 times more than soy)
- Factory farms are major contributors to land erosion and water pollution
Better for the animals
- Less demand therefore less animal farms needed.
When you do eat meat, it is very important to choose great quality – no added hormones or antibiotics, sound farming styles and well treated animals. There are hundreds are animal farmers who have great integrity and a conscious mind with raising their herds. Below are a few things that organic meat farmers take pride in.
- They give their animals 100% organic feed
- No hormones or antibiotics are given and if a sick animal, it is given appropriate medicine and then added to the label
- The animals are given plenty of outside time to graze on pastures
A side note: Animals that are grass fed and not eating grains usually have a higher level of essential fatty acids ( better for you).
Tonight we will have a stir fry with heaps of veggies – bok choy ( see video below), pepper, carrots, green onions – and brown rice. I may throw in some tofu as well.
Do you have a favorite meatless Monday recipe?
PS Don’t forget… The HBD curriculum is now on sale through Homeschool Co-op. It is 70% off which means each unit of more than 4 weeks with of activities and lessons plans is less than $28. Smashing great deal!