Healthy simple nutrition for your family can be daunting, especially when back to school time approaches. Summer is filled with pure crazy chaos: no set dinner time or bedtime – just great relaxing fun. However, our nutrition and healthy eating habits tend to get a little lost in the chaos and now it’s time to get back in a routine.
Summer is now over, most kids are back in school and it is time to get back to some healthy eating!
- This is really important – keeps families connected to the everyday life – so making it happen is essential.
2. Be a good role model
- Whatever is on your plate, put on your child’s plate as well. When kids see you eating colorful whole foods at every meal, they will eventually try it…I promise.
3. Create a healthy snack filled pantry
- Have everyone write down 5 things that want to have available for snacks. Encourage healthy foods like seeds & nuts ( make a trail mix), fruit and vegetables.
4. Be proactive
- Have healthy food available – bowl of fruit and/or cut up veggies with dips in fridge – and even have the kids help you prepare meals – they will be more likely to eat something that they have helped create!
5. Make healthy living & eating a priority
- Engage in lively healthy conversations at the dinner table. For example; what do you think those foods are doing in our bodies? and how does healthy eating ( versus not so healthy eating) make us feel? Have your kids become aware of food and what it does in their their body.
Other Back to School Blogs
Image credit: Ray Sandusky