6 cups of water and 4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock and a little miso
1 TBSP olive oil
1 head of garlic, minced
2 TBSP fresh grated ginger
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
Half a bunch of finely chopped kale
5 pieces of sliced dried astragalus root ( optional but very healing herb if you can find it)
2 cups fresh, sliced shiitake mushrooms
Juice of one lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a big soup pot, heat the olive oil, sauté garlic, onions, and ginger until onions are translucent.
2. Add kale and squash.
3. Add liquids, shiitake, astragalas and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer and cover for an hour.
5. Remove the astragalas and reheat.
6. Add pepper and cayenne powder.
7. Dissolve the miso in a ladle of broth and then add at the very end once all ingredients have been cooked.
8. Add salt to taste.
Very yummy the next day! The ginger and cayenne will mellow out. The recipe is adapted from the Oryana Food Co-op which is located in northern lower Michigan