3 cups of packed fresh basil leaves
3 to 4 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
*optional: 1/3 cup of a type of nut – pine nut, walnut or macadamia nut
1. Place the basil leaves and garlic in a blender or food processor and mince well.
2. Add the choice of nut, if desired, and continue to blend until the nuts are ground.
3. Drizzle in the olive oil ( or in sections like Merrin did) as you keep the machine running. Once you have a smooth paste, transfer it to the bowl and gently stir in the cheese.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add to some hot noodles, use as a pizza sauce or as a dip with crackers!
Note: recipe is adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook