3 cups of packed fresh basil leaves
3 to 4 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
*optional: 1/3 cup of a type of nut – pine nut, walnut or macadamia nut
1. Place the basil leaves and garlic in a blender or food processor and mince well.
2. Add the choice of nut, if desired, and continue to blend until the nuts are ground.
3. Drizzle in the olive oil (or in sections like Merrin did) as you keep the machine running. Once you have a smooth paste, transfer it to the bowl and gently stir in the cheese.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add to some hot noodles, use as a pizza sauce or as a dip with crackers!
Note: recipe is adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook