I have focused a ton on nutrition but have ( almost) completely neglected talking about skin and the large connection that skincare products have with infertility, cancer and learning disabilities. I stumbled across, Beautycounter when looking for safe yet effective mascara and after watching some videos of the owner, Gregg Renfrew, I was blown away by the lack of regulation in the personal care industry.
- The last law written in the US was in 1938 and is only a page and a half long
- the EU bans 1400 chemicals in personal care products, the US 30. Crazy.
- Beautycounter bans 1500 chemicals in all their products, works extensively with the Environmental Working Group, is a B Corp, has a strong social mission with lobbying DC to demand more regulations
Must Watch Video
What we put on our skin can affect our health. Below are a few of my favorite Beautycounter products that I use, which are safer than conventional skin care product and also do the job.
- Cleansing Balm: I use this at least 4 times a week as a hydrating mask. It can also be used as facial cleanser and also acts as a perfect replacement to a soothing salve for dry skin patches.
- Hydrating Facial Oil: Every morning, I will splash my face with warm water, pat dry and then apply a few drops of this oil to my face. Before using this, my face was dry, very dry especially when leaving in LA, but now it is silky soft!
- Mascara: I just LOVE it.
- Lip sheers: They feel gentle and nourishing and give my lips a nice soft color ( although, they do have stronger colors but I’m prefer the nude colors).
- Sunscreens: Light and effective.
My teen daughters love the charcoal bar and mask, the gentle exfoliating polishing cream in the face collection ( they use the whole line) and the sunscreen facial stick.