What are Conjunctivitis and Pink Eye?
Conjunctivitis is also called pink eye because it can cause the white of the eye to become pink. It is highly contagious and common in kids. Conjunctivitis is a viral infection, not a bacterium; therefore, an antibacterial eye drop will not help. Viral conjunctivitis will usually run its course and clear up independently; however, simple naturopathic approaches will help speed the recovery.
It is essential to repeat that conjunctivitis is highly contagious. Most viruses that cause conjunctivitis spread through hand-to-eye contact by hands. In addition, anything, like toys, may be contaminated with the infectious virus, so ensure everything is washed. Therefore, avoid touching or rubbing your eyes. Touching infected eyes can be challenging for kids since pink eye can be itchy; however, it can worsen the condition or spread it to your other eye. Make sure you and your child wash their hands regularly, and with clean hands, wash any discharge from around the infected eye(s) several times a day using a clean, wet washcloth or fresh cotton ball.
Euphrasia ( eyebright): Eyebright has been used in ophthalmic (eye) solutions for centuries to manage multiple eye conditions.
- Purchase Weleda Soothing Eye Drops (Euphrasia 3x), 10ml at your local health food store or from their website.
- Increase immunity with vitamin d, probiotics, cod liver oil and other oral botanicals.
- Green tea may have a soothing effect and also may reduce itching. Apply cool, wet green tea bags directly over closed eyelids.
- Apply a warm cloth compress may help alleviate symptoms.
- WASH YOUR HANDS all the time.
Pink eye is common in kids so do not be alarmed if they get it. The key is to treat immediately, and explain to the kids to not touch their eyes, wash their hands more than normal. And be very careful that you do not get it!!
PS during the night eye crusts can develop and once kids wake, it might be difficult to open their eyes. Be prepared for this with warm water eye rinses.
Photo by Sean Kinnear on Unsplash